Who can buy at Alko?
Thanks for showing your ID
Alko acts responsibly by ensuring that the legal age limits for buying alcohol observed.
- A 20-year-old can buy all alcoholic beverages.
- 18–19-year-olds can buy alcoholic beverages with a maximum 22% alcohol content.
IDs accepted by Alko
- Driving licence (European union, Russia and Norway)
- Photo identity card (European union)
Only a valid identity card with a current photo issued by a police authority is accepted as a proof of age. Therefore, for instance, social insurance cards with photo, student cards and military IDs are not suitable ID documents at Alko shops.
Don't buy for others
If Alko sales saff suspect that alcoholic beverages are being bought for someone who is underage, they are legally obliged to refuse to sell, even if the buyer is of legal age.
Suspicion of buying for others may arise e.g. in the following situations:
- If one member of a group shopping in Alko is underage or is not able to prove that they are of legal age.
- When a buyer who is of legal age is seen leaving a group of underage people outside the shop.
- If sales staff notice money being exchanged from an underage person to a person who is of legal age.
- When an underage person chooses a product in a shop and gives it to a person of legal age to buy on their behalf.
- Sales staff suspect, based on the nature and amount of products, that a customer is not buying the products for their own use.
No sales to those who are intoxicated
We do not sell alcoholic beverages to someone who acts in a disorderly manner or is cleary intoxicated. Also we do not sell products to customers who are accompanied by an intoxicated person, if there is reason to suspect that they are buying alcohol for the person in question.
If you are buing alcoholic beverages for others, also they must comply with the above rules for purchases.
Please note also
- If you are under 25 years of age, please show your ID on your own initiative, do so even if you are in a group buying alcoholic beverages together. Every member in the group must be of age if they wish to make purchases at Alko.
- A person buying alcoholic beverages must be prepared to tell our staff whether he or she is bying for his or her own consumption or for someone else's. If our sales staff suspect that the alcoholic beverages are being bought for someone who is underage, they are legally obliged to refuse to sell.
- If you are underage you can buy wine related gift items and newspapers at Alko.
- The Price List, however, is meant for customers who have reached the legal age to buy alcoholic beverages.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be able to buy an Alko Gift Card.