Our operations cause environmental impacts of which the most relevant ones take place in the supply chain in primary production, i.e. agriculture; in logistics, international as well as domestic; in the stores and the head office as they consume electrical energy and heat; and in the production and recycling of product packaging.
Environmental aspects guide our operations in many ways:
- Our assortment contains environmentally certified products (organic, biodynamic)
- We co-operate with other retail chains in product packaging recycling (glass and pet bottles, aluminium cans)
- In the stores we sort packaging and other waste materials and direct them to recycling
- We re-use logistics materials (pallets, cartons, crates)
- We reduce logistics emissions domestically by combining lots from different warehouses into same shipments
- We save energy by e.g. switching off unnecessary lights in backrooms and by upgrading our signage and store lighting into LED technology
- We train and instruct store personnel to consider the environment in all their duties
- We communicate to our customers about our environmental impacts, eco-friendly product choices, recycling, etc.